- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 pounds mascarpone cheese
- 14 ounces of hard ladyfingers
- 2 cups strong black coffee at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 3-4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- In bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat yolks at low speed until just combined. Add sugar and salt and beat at medium-high speed until pale yellow, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula once or twice. Add 1/3 cup heavy cream to yolks and beat at medium speed until just combined, 20 to 30 seconds; scrape bowl. Set bowl with yolks over medium saucepan containing 1 inch gently simmering water; cook, constantly scraping along bottom and sides of bowl with heatproof rubber spatula, until mixture coats back of spoon and registers 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 4 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir vigorously to cool slightly, then set aside to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Transfer bowl to standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, add mascarpone, and beat at medium speed until no lumps remain, 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer mixture to large bowl and set aside.
- In now-empty mixer bowl (no need to clean bowl), beat the remaining heavy cream at medium high speed until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. Using rubber spatula, fold one-third of whipped cream into mascarpone mixture to lighten, then gently fold in remaining whipped cream until no white streaks remain. Set mascarpone mixture aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine coffee, coffee granules. Mix until combined. Working one at a time, individually place a ladyfinger into the coffee mixture, roll, remove, and transfer to 13 by 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. (Do not submerge ladyfingers in to the coffee mixture; entire process should take no longer than 2 to 3 seconds to roll each cookie.) Arrange soaked cookies in single layer in the baking dish, breaking or trimming ladyfingers as needed to fit neatly into dish.
- Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers; use rubber spatula to spread mixture to sides and into corners of dish and smooth surface. Place 2 tablespoons cocoa in fine-mesh strainer and dust cocoa over mascarpone.
- Repeat dipping and arrangement of ladyfingers; spread remaining mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers and dust with remaining tablespoon of cocoa. Wipe edges of dish with dry paper towel. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 24 hours. Cut into pieces and serve chilled.